Science has been defined as a systematized body of knowledge. It is neither good nor bad in itself. It is the use of science that makes it good or bad. Man may use it for his welfare as well as for warfare. It is a blessing in peace and curse in war.
Science is a blessing. By applying science man has, gained control over nature. Man is no longer a slave to his surroundings. He has conquered time and space. Buses, trains, aero planes enable man to travel more and more distance without any difficulty.
Even on the wide oceans he covers his voyage without any worry. Besides these, there are telephones and-telegraphs which enable man to keep contact with his friends and relatives without any difficulty. So it seems that the world has contracted.
In past, man had no control over the scorching summer and shivering winter. But now man is the master of environment. During summer he uses cooler, electric fans and during winter he uses room heaters to give him warmth.
Man has many enemies which he could not know in past. But now he has been successful in discovering bacteria, virus and other harmful germs. They are easily seen with microscope and are easily killed by medicines. X-rays, CT scans, Ultra Sound Tests, Laparoscopy are some of the recent developments in medical science with which terrible diseases at remote parts of human body can be detected.
Man, today, enjoys more comforts and luxuries than ever before. He has a much higher standard of living. Better irrigation facilities, improved farming tools, hybrid seeds, chemical fertilizers etc. have increased the agricultural output.
After hard work, man needs healthy recreation to relax him. Science has provided radio, cinema, television etc. for our entertainment. Due to the invention and spread of printing press, education has successfully- reached the common man.
Blessings of science are numerous. But this is only one side of the picture. In the past man has many times misused the knowledge of science. In big industries machines are used to increase production. But industrialization has given rise to competition, unemployment and capitalism. Machines have thrown thousands out of employment. Capitalism has caused class-struggle and exploitation of many people.
Man was safe in past. But now due to the invention of destructive weapons he is unsafe. If ever the Third Worlds War is fought, the entire civilization will come to an end. Science has reduced spiritualism in man and has converted him into a moral pigmy.
If we impartially look at the problems, then we will find that man is responsible for the blessings or curse of science. If science is used properly, then people will live peacefully.
Uses and abuses of Science
First journey of science: The first scientist of the world was a prehistoric man. He used his brains to invent the simplest device to make his life less painful. Science started its humble journey from that day.
Science grew richer and richer and it has reached its golden age today. It has revolutionized man’s life so thoroughly that we like to cal this age the age of science. It is science that tells a modern man how to live.
Science is a mixed blessing. Though the basket of gifts of sciences is full to the brain, science has not been an unmixed blessing to man. If used property, science is helpful for us. If abused, science may become a threat to humanity.
Uses of science: We use countless gifts of science every day.
- Science has modernized our homes. Pressure cooker, gas ovens, washing machine, refrigerator have changed the look of our kitchen.
- Trains, buses, planes, motor cars, bicycles have made our journey quicker and more comfortable.
- The radio, Television (TV) adds to our knowledge and pleasure.
- Telephones, mobile-phones are important communication devices.
- Electric light, fan, air-conditioners, cooler,etc. make our life comfortable.
- Science has given us life saving drugs and medical facilities.
- Science has taught us how to use the gifts of nature.
Abuses of science: Man uses science for the bane of his fellow beings too.
- The industrial and vehicular pollution is a major harmful effects of the abusive usage of science.
- Man has used science to make deadly weapons.
- Two Great World wars killed a great number of people and destroyed big cities.
- Nuclear bombs can put the entire cities out of existence. The nuclear bomb, explosives, the hydrogen bomb, poisonous gas, missiles, chemical warfare, etc. are extremely destructive application of science.
- Man has become over-dependent on scientific equipment and devices.
- Children and adults wastes immense time and energy watching television and surfing the internet.
Conclusion: On one hand, science has given us the physical comfort. But, on the other hand, it has caused many problems for mankind. People have begun to fight against the misuse of science.