This handout provides examples and description about writing papers in literature. It discusses research topics, how to begin to research, how to use information, and formatting.
Contributors:Mark Dollar, Purdue OWL
Last Edited: 2017-10-25 10:18:45
What about MLA format?
All research papers on literature use MLA format, as it is the universal citation method for the field of literary studies. Whenever you use a primary or secondary source, whether you are quoting or paraphrasing, you will make parenthetical citations in the MLA format [Ex. (Smith 67).] Your Works Cited list will be the last page of your essay. Consult the OWL handout on MLA for further instructions.
Note, however, the following minor things about MLA format:
- Titles of books, plays, or works published singularly (not anthologized) should be italicised unless it is a handwritten document, in which case underlining is acceptable. (Ex. Hamlet, Great Expectations)
- Titles of poems, short stories, or works published in an anthology will have quotation marks around them. (Ex. "Ode to a Nightingale," "The Cask of Amontillado")
- All pages in your essay should have your last name the page number in the top right hand corner. (Ex. Jones 12)
If you're using Microsoft Word, you can easily include your name and page number on each page by following the these steps:
- Open "View" (on the top menu).
- Open "Header and Footer." (A box will appear at the top of the page you're on. And a "Header and Footer" menu box will also appear).
- Click on the "align right" button at the top of the screen. (If you're not sure which button it is, hold the mouse over the buttons and a small window should pop up telling you which button you're on.)
- Type in your last name and a space.
- Click on the "#" button which is located on the "Header and Footer" menu box. It will insert the appropriate page number.
- Click "Close" on the "Header and Footer" window.
That's all you need to do. Word will automatically insert your name and the page number on every page of your document.
What else should I remember?
- Don't leave a quote or paraphrase by itself-you must introduce it, explain it, and show how it relates to your thesis.
- Block format all quotations of more than four lines.
- When you quote brief passages of poetry, line and stanza divisions are shown as a slash (Ex. "Roses are red, / Violets are blue / You love me / And I like you").
- For more help, see the OWL handout on using quotes.
“Book titled “Neverending Story” is the best literary piece I’ve ever read!”
“Shopping at Walmart Makes My Day.”
“How Comes Some People Don’t Fear Death?”
Students break their heads against the wall trying to understand how to title an essay. These phrases/keywords seem extractions from some stories. Some college entrance essays get an immediate feedback; other works of hard-working applicants fail without being read. What makes a good academic paper worth of one’s attention?
Every written product needs a title. Students write essays/research papers to earn high grades; professional authors write to sell their masterpieces to people. In both cases, a powerful, catchy title is a clue to success. People judge the book by its cover & title. Deciding on the appropriate words to name the written product is one of the most challenging tasks a writer faces. Several types of projects require impressive titles:
- Academic essays
- Research papers
- Other literary pieces (novels, short stories, etc.)
Famous authors hire ghostwriters to ease their pain and come up with an impressive title and even type the book from the introductory page to the ending page. Students should not underestimate the opportunities offered by the best online writing & editing services: they can order any type of work, buy to titles.
How to Title an Essay: 11 Steps to Success!
Expert writers recommend following ten steps on the way to choosing a powerful title to appear on the cover & work’s initial page:
“The majority of essays possess titles with several words introductory statement that is creative, reflecting author’s imagination, supported by a direct sentence interpreting the main idea of the written product. This formula works for everyone: students & young writers.”
Bill Whitehouse, Professor of Literature, Clemson University
“Hamlet’s Eternal Question: To be or Not to be?”
“Symbolic Meaning of the Ring in Lord of the Rings”
“Harry Potter’s Vision of Life &
“Waking up to Realize No More Rules Exist”
“Separate Are Men and Women Still That Different?”
“Space Exploration: Money as the Main Obstacle”
“Titanic: What Makes a Good Movie”
- Write the full text first to understand the main idea. You can put all thoughts in one whole picture; it is easier to choose the key words which would best describe your message to the reader. Skim the finished text before giving a title.
- Choose the tone of the writing – is it a serious or funny paper/who is your target audience/why is the argument important? Essays that cover serious issues like medical treatment of cancer or increased level of hate crimes require titles which are not off-the-wall. A personal essay/reflection paper can be named differently. You’re free to choose the proper words.
- Type the keywords/key phrases on the separate page to choose the title based on these options; brainstorm ideas related to the selected writing topic. Decide if all words in a line match each other, jarringly various, recall more words on the topic useful to conclude.
- The process of titling has a special place in entire essay/research writing procedure. We will type the formula to obey. Experts share:
- Different web/mobile applications help writers with impressive, creative titles. Click on the following link to process to the paper which describes the best mobile and web paper writing applications. Choose the one to make the writing process more exciting.
- Decide on a quote on your essay topic & main argument of the paper if it is possible; type the words in Google to find several top quotation online pages. Do not copy-paste full citation; choose some words (fragment) of the selected quote to apply. Poetry lines, quotes of famous people, music lyrics, and many other elements are helpful for titling the essay and creating hook sentences. Titles examples on book report are below.
- It is not necessarily to type words to make an inspiring title. Colorful pictures accompanied by the keywords will catch an eye of your audience from the first line. Intriguing essay titles 2017 include:
- A cliché is not bad; find one you could rewrite/paraphrase to use in your writing assignment (e.g. thesis, research paper, etc.) “Fight for Gender Equality in 20th Century: Is There Any Progress?”
- Play with words to type a creative, original, impressive title capable of catching reader’s eye from the opening line. Double entendre is the top recommended formula of success; e.g. an essay discussing forecasts concerning the world’s end would benefit from title “No Future for Humanity: Truth about the End of the Word” appearing on the title page.
- Writing title, introduction, outline, & conclusion (click on the link to find tips) are the most difficult parts of any content composing process. It is okay to ask people around to help. Name the topic of your essay and create a list of keywords associated with your essay/research paper - it is easier to brainstorm in the team!
- Type 3 primary words to describe your piece in short; a thesis statement could be the best way to explain the topic’s meaning. Sometimes, three words are enough to deliver the main message of your content.
Those are basic tips professional writers use to explain how to title an essay to their younger colleagues.
Where to Get Help with Impressive Academic Essay Title?
Keep in mind a great title must identify the topic of discussion. 3 necessary components of any academic text exist to consider while writing a title:
- Tone/Voice (serious/official/formal/irreverent/informal/funny)
- Structure (argumentative/compare & contrast/persuasive)
- Angle or stance (do you support or reject something)
If you want professional academic writers to take care of your title, move to the official website and place an order. English native-speaking writers from different fields of study will solve any problem in the shortest period, cheaply.
Require academic assistance? – Get it right here and right now!